Skip to main content

I Remember (Update)

A few months ago, I wrote a very personal poem inspired by the break up of a fellow friend. Over the last few months I repeatedly thought back to this poem, I wasn't originally happy with its content so I had been tweaking here and there to create the poem I wanted my feelings to exert. I wanted a poem that every man or woman could relate to, as cliched as that sounds, but to also strike a chord in the hearts of all who have been broken by their first love. So, I present to you, (and I'm so sorry it's longer than I anticipated) inspired by my dear friend and some of my own personal experiences, 'I Remember'.

Do you remember the day we met?
Awkward glances around your eyes transformed into endless toying of obsession
You gave me a single diamond, a single tear placed in my hand
Frozen in place.

We climbed the steps, one by one, your head nuzzled in my shoulder
Like you needed protecting
The smell of sweet endearment pierced the skin like winter snow
And your diamond ran down my cheek
You kissed away all what was imperfect.
I remember.

Do you remember the first time your hand graced mine?
Palms swam cool with nerves but lacked in steel
Slowly burned an imprint on my heart.
My Thor held me, and I him so tight
I vowed to never let go.

So to bed, encompassing foolish fantastical ideas of love
I fell asleep, weary of existence
But your hand still gripped tight
You were dreaming of the stars.
How the hammer flew into the sky that night
And like empty promises
Never returned.
I remember.

Do you remember writing your passion into words?
Handpicked at a moment's choice
The journal shone emerald green with dashes of gold
Fitzgerald's Gatsby stole the cover.
Potential exploded into vast wishes and fantasies.

Pages as crisp as the air on a cool Sunday morning
Your writing brought me solace
How I dreamed of falling head first into your charm and your words
Cushioning the collapse into despair
''Ay there's the rub''.
Round it swirls with such ferocity
Drip goes the ink
''Turn away' you said, ''it's not ready''.
I remember.

Do you remember the day you said "Marry me?"
So precise the ring sat
In the shape of a birdcage, in which my heart was its occupant.
You held up a tie to the sun, ablaze with colours and shapes
The puzzled expression said "Together...or not at all".
Burgundy or green, which is more May?
How fitting the cliche.

The bells ring, louder and louder
Sirens warning of danger
How could I know?
You leaned in, a comfort kiss
But doubt prevented me from returning your token.
I remember.

Do you remember Goodbye?
Time stood still
But left me behind
My hand is loose and limp now
Quicker than a moving train you break me.
The sheets were crimson
Creased but cold
I slept alone on your bedroom floor
"I don't know how to feel anymore."

So quick it was
Virtual and lifeless words from the screen in your hand
You took a trip to the promised land.
I am thrust away
Into the light
Luna guides me and my way with her radiant beam
You drift away slowly, like a bad dream.

Goodbye ceased to exist
But know this, you will be missed.
For I remember, and I always will.

K.P.S

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Goldfish Boy - Lisa Thompson

It's a new year which means it's time to shake off your dusty wigs and get your reading glasses back on as I'm back on the old blogger! It's been a rather busy few months (what EVEN was December?!) but I'm back, with a promise to you all of at LEAST one post per week. So, let's kick things off in style with a good old fashioned book review; what better place to start than January's Book of the Month for Waterstones, Lisa Thompson's debut 'The Goldfish Boy'.

  Matthew Corbin suffers from OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and rarely does he leave his room. He washes his hands until they crack and bleed, he douses everything with antiseptic spray and he has a secret box of latex gloves under his bed. To pass the time, he observes his neighbours as they go about their daily routines and jots it down in his notepad. Everything is as regular as clockwork, until Mr Charles' grandchildren come to stay, and the youngest, Teddy, goes missing. As the …

How to Stop Time - Matt Haig

"I suddenly realise it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter that we age differently. It doesn't matter that there is no way of resisting the laws of time. The time ahead of you is the like the land beyond the ice. You can guess what it could be like but you can never know. All you know is the moment you are in."

Imagine, for a second, that you were different to everyone else. To others, you may seem like a rather ordinary forty year old, but the reality is you're closer to four hundred and ninety. This is the problem of Tom Hazard, the protagonist of Matt Haig's incredible new novel How to Stop Time. Tom suffers from a rare condition that has caused him to be alive for centuries, ageing one physical year every fifteen years. Always on the move to avoid suspicion, Tom now works in a secondary school as a history teacher, but the one rule he is told never to break keeps making itself known; never fall in love. 

  The joyous quality with Matt Haig is that he trul…

The Bookshop Girl - Sylvia Bishop

If you're reading this, chances are, you probably like books. You probably would go as far to say you LOVE books, that if you chance upon a bookshop on your travels that you just HAVE to pop in for a browse and end up losing the rest of your day in there. This love for bookshops and love for reading is encapsulated perfectly in Sylvia Bishop's The Bookshop Girl, her follow up to Erica's Elephant

  Perkily illustrated by my bookselling chum Ashley King, The Bookshop Girl follows the adventures of Property Jones, who lives in a second hand bookshop after she was left there in a cupboard when she was a baby, who wins the opportunity of a lifetime to look after the renowned Montgomery Book Emporium. But can Property save the day when a sinister Mr Pink shows up demanding a rare and valuable manuscript? And will she ever reveal her biggest secret? 

  One of the biggest perks of Bishop's writing is how charming and breezy it is. The story reminded me of Dahl's 'Charl…